Sunday, December 9, 2012

Home away from home

So Thursday I had classes and got on an early afternoon train to Skanderborg to spend the weekend with Jesper, Helle, Emma, and Tobias.  I could write pages and pages about all the great things we did, but here's a rundown:

Thursday night we relaxed, had dinner, and watched the Danish Women's National Handball team beat France in the World Cup!

Friday morning I helped Helle around her shop and set up to have 20 older women visit the shop and then enjoy Aebleskiver and Glogg after!  My favorite part is the absolute lack of communication, but have discovered how you can really learn to communicate a lot through gestures and smiling!

If you combine the rest of Friday and Saturday, we trained Oktan and Rubin (Helle's horses) in the snow, made snowmen, went for tractor rides, had snowball fights, set up the Christmas Villages, made homemade aebleskiver and glogg, learned how to bake peanut butter cookies, and much more!

Tobias

Setting up the Village pieces

Oktan!

Snowman!

Rubin

"Faster, faster!"

Snowball fight!


Family!


This whole weekend was such a special experience for me, just getting closer with my Danish family and relaxing in the hyggelight atmosphere!  They made me feel like I was really part of the family and I wish they didn't live so far away.  Saying bye to them for an indefinite amount of time was such a hard thing to do, and I know it's only going to get worse as times goes on.

After taking an early afternoon train back to Copenhagen, I met Morgan, Alison, and Rebecca to go see the Royal Danish Ballet perform Sleeping Beauty, which was fantastic!  After the ballet we went back to Morgans and made chicken parmesean.  Now that I've had my past few great days, it'd definitely time to buckle down and start studying for finals.

Til imorgen!

No comments:

Post a Comment